Friday, May 16, 2008

Another year older

I stand on the precipice of age, a quarter of a century in existence. It is quite overwhelming, given that it feels as the years just flew by. But it is also endearing, as I look back to all the joys, the laughter, the tears and wisdom gained along the way, I find that there are still many things in store for me. Most of which would probably never cross my mind today. 25 years is a long time, yet it still feels like I have only finished the first leg and everything seems new again.

Life is a journey, so they say. As we go through it we pass by multiple crossroads and paths, leading to answers (if not questions) on what to do with our mortal lives. Excuse the usage of banal statement, but saying "It's not the destination that counts, but the journey" is probably the truest statement comes to mind. After all, in life, the destination is, as much as we hate to admit it, death.

Experience is a gift. To deny that is foolish. Whether good or bad, memorable or not, anything we experience shapes us, molds our being and contributes to our growth. What I've been through, what I am and what I will become, I owe it all to experience. Still, no matter the cards I've been dealt, the decisions on what to do with them, lies solely on my choice and my free will.

What to expect now as I hit the big two-five? I don't know, and frankly I don't care. Take life as it comes. To plan is good, but in a world that prefers randomness, chaos and unforeseeable probabilities, even the best laid plans tend to falter. Accept and adapt. Savor the moments, enjoy, partake of life's cup of suffering and joy. That is what makes it worth living.

No comments: